Friday, February 12, 2010

Top 10 romantic novels

Let me get this straight in the beginning itself that this my personal top 10 favourite romantic novels of all time. These books are out of the limited books I have read. Any suggestions and recommendations are welcome. The idea is just to enlist some books which would help a beginner to start off somewhere.

1.) Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen


I read this one for the first time when I was in school and since then I have read it umpteen times and still its my favourite. It has numerous adaptations and have inspired number of other works directly or indirectly. It was written and set in the 19th century but still is one the most sought after and loved books even today.






2.) Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte


I saw the screen adaptation of this first and then read the book. And believe me it was better than the screen adaptation anytime.

Jane Eyre is an orphan who lives with her aunt but doesn't find herself fitting in that family. Emotionally abused by her aunt and banned from the company of her cousins, she finds job to get away from her loneliness where she falls in love with her Byronic employer, Edward Rochester.

3.) Notebook by Nicholas Sparks


The movies is good but as always book is better.







4.) Romeo and Juliet by Shakespeare

Who hasn't heard these characters!!! Its a romantic tragedy about two star-crossed lovers. It has been adapted numerous times for stage, film, musical and opera.





5.) Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
The story revolves around Elinor and Marianne, two daughters of Mr.Dashwood by his second wife. When their father dies, the estate passes to John (an older half brother), and the Dashwood women are left in reduced circumstances. The novel follows the Dashwood sisters to thier new home, thier romances and heartbreak. Through the events in the novel, Elinor and Marianne find a balance between sense (or pure logic) and sensibility (or pure emotion) in life and love.



6.) Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Its the tale of the all-encompassing and passionate, yet thwarted, love between Heathcliff and catherine Earnshaw, and how this unresolved passion eventually destroys them and around them.






7.) Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

It is one of the greatest books ever written in my belief. The book is really about two stories interlaced with each other. One concerns Levin, a small time farmer trying to win over a rich Moscow society lady, while the other story, the main story, concerns Anna, a woman who has an affair with an army officer.





8.) Love Story by Erich Segal

This one is for all those who adore lovey-dovey, mushy romance. Its a romantic story between a Harward and a Radcliff student.







9.) Gone with the wind Margaret Mitchell
I read this novel first time when I was in school and I really couldn't digest the fact that Scarlett just goes around marrying people whome she doesnt love at all. And I hated the book. But recently I saw the movie and read it again. And may be the timing was right this time and I could appreciate it much better. So here it is on my top ten list, the hate at first sight and then falling in love gradually book.



10.) Twilight by Stepheni Meyer

This is the only mordern love stories that I felt like including because it just made me feel a teen once again and I felt like falling in love once again. I just fell in love with the Edward character. :)

Its a story about a mere mortal girl, Bella Swan, falling in love with a vampire, Edward Cullen. There is one dialog which summarizes it
Edward - And so the lion fell in love with the lamb
Bella - What a stupid lamb
Edward - What a sick, masochistic lion

1 comment:

skullz said...

good research and thank you for putting up those few books that I would never go close to :P .. jus kidding .. will try and read it . who knows I might like all the antique romance you've always talked about :)